Sunday, May 3, 2009

My new job

"A Nurse's Self-portrait" April 2000, medium: charcoal by Crystal Albrecht

I've had a lot of people asking me to update my blog to let them know how my new job is going. I love, love, love the ER! I loved working OB, but the ER just fits me. Seriously, it just feels right, this is totally the area I was made to work in. I am catching on really well. This weekend I pretty much just took care of the patients myself, but referred to my trainer with questions as needed. I had heard what a beast the computer charting was, which it is, but I have caught on to it very quickly and hardly need help with it anymore. Last night the nurses told me how well and quickly I was catching on. I've seen some really cool things, and due to sensitive stomachs out there and something called HIPPA, I won't go into details. I've also seen some really terrible things. I love the pace, my co-workers and the doctors are awesome to work with. The shifts go by so fast. Everyone is so willing to teach me what I need to know. I'm really glad that I have a tough stomach. I'm amazed how much I am using my OB training. I'm very good at measuring cuts, although they laugh at me because I do it by spreading my second and third fingers apart just like when I used to measure a cervix. Hey, it's faster than using a measuring tape :). For one particular case, the doctor came to consult with me on how to repair a laceration because of my experience. It's neat to see how quickly things can change. For instance, last night, after a very busy run, we finally discharged all of our patients. We were sitting around talking and being silly and then all of a sudden we got a call that 4 ambulances were coming in. Within 10 minutes things were totally hopping again. One was a major trauma.
Anyway, it is going really well, and I love going to work. I'm surprised how little I really miss OB. I do miss my nursing sisters and wish I could bring them with me, but at least I will still be picking up an occasional shift over there. So there's the update, minus the cool, gory details.


5 comments:

Tanielle said...

Way to go Crystal! I'm glad you are making the transition with such ease! And so glad there are fantastic people like you to work the ER! Hopefully I'll never have to see you at work though!

Anonymous said...

Sure wish you would have been there a few months ago when we were there!!We acutally had a great nurse. I'm so glad that you like your job and that you love going to work, that makes a huge difference!!

Deb-t said...

Hooray for you, Crystal! I'm glad to hear things are going so well. And of course you are catching on quickly...it's in your blood! I meant to ask you today what session you will be at for your kids' swimming lessons. We got session three at 11am. Hope to see you Thursday night!

Marc T. said...

PLEASE make sure to give all the Gory Details, include pictures if you can, to your hubby. He LOVES that stuff.

Cassandra said...

Crystal, If I ever nearly drown, have a heart attack, fall off a roof and break several ribs, step on some of Ryan's abandoned fireworks and get my leg blown off, etc etc and so forth, I hope I come under your care.

You sound satisfied. I'm so happy for you!!!