Sunday, April 27, 2008


Friday was a very difficult day. At one point we decided that we didn't even want to answer the phone anymore because it seemed like every time we did, something else was backordered or set a new crisis in motion. The day started out with me waking up, getting the kids ready and out the door by 8:15. Our chandaliers, wall sconces, and vanity lights were all supposed to be in last week but they weren't delivered until Thursday night. Before I left, I called the Lighting Specialists to make sure that they were really there and ready for pick up. The guy told me that they had arrived, but that one of the lights had been back ordered until the middle of May. WHAT?!? We want to be in next week! Luckily the light that was back ordered was just a flushmount, not a light that is really prominent like the other lights that were included in the order. I told him to just cancel that one and I would get one from home depot. So off we ran to SLC. I picked up our lights and as you can see in the pictures above they took up every inch in my van except where we needed to sit...phew! (Yes, a truck would have been very useful with this whole house building experience!)
Then I went to Sears to pick up Cambree's birthday portraits that were actually supposed to be in on Thursday. When I got there, the lady said,
"Oh, I'm sorry. It looks like they actually won't be here until Tuesday. They must have written down the wrong date on your order."
I was mad. I somewhat patiently explained that I live an hour away and that it is not exactly very convenient to come in just any ol' time.
"I'm sorry ma'am. When you come in I'll have a coupon for a free 8x10."
I looked at her very much unimpressed and said, "I get those in the mail and newspaper all the time."
GRRRRRRR!!
So, then I rushed home because I needed to be home for an 11 am phone call from Qwest (whom I had been on the phone with for over an hour the day before trying to set up phone, internet, and satellite TV). Apparently our address doesn't exist in their system so they couldn't set us up for service. Even after I called the county and got our Territory, region, section, and parcel #, they still said that they wouldn't be able to provide us with service. Then who were those workers installing cables using Qwest vehicles a couple months ago?? Aliens? Foreign intelligence? Come on people!! Organization. Communication. Try it--it works! Why on earth would I try to set up a service for a non-existent address??
Anyway. I made it home for the phone call and was lucky enough to work with a very nice grandma-like lady in Canada who was able to get things all worked out. God bless you!
So I threw together a lunch for the kids and just as we were sitting down to eat, the electricians called ready for the lights. So I scooped the kids' lunches into tupperware containers and squeezed them back into the car and went up to the house. On the way, I looked back at the kids and they were just happily eating their lunch and watching their cartoon amidst piled boxes and a frantic mother and schedule. I told them thank you for being such good kids and took the above pictures.
After dropping off the lights, I headed to Home Depot to pick out a hood to go above our range. Guess what? They are a special order and take 7-10 days to come in. I don't have that! GRRRR!!
"Well, you could pay $98 for shipping and have it here by Thursday of next week."
Hmmm, let me think about it. NO! While I was there working that out, Joseph called and said that the laundry room formica countertops from Home Depot are now on backorder. (...breathe....) We called our cabinet guy & found out that he could get a hood from his supplier on Monday and we picked a different color of countertop for the laundry room.
My brother's final inspection was Friday morning and he didn't pass. One of the things that didn't pass was that they didn't have tempered glass in the windows by the bath tub. Clay, Joseph and my dad installed our windows, so it got me thinking. Did they install our tempered windows in the right place? Nope. The two smaller windows were in Cambree's room and the big one was now molded together with the two smaller windows in our bedroom. (Hair pulling started at about this point. Blood pressure 150/110). After a few phone calls we discovered that Performance Glass who is doing our shower doors and mirrors can swap out the panes of glass. Phew. So I ran the lights from Home Depot back to the house, met with the electrician. Guess what? You know our incompetent electrician who did our rough-in? Yea, he put a few wires in the kitchen in the wrong place and the vanity lights are about a foot too low. Move the lights, patch the holes. Then I met with the painter who was doing the finishing touches and painting the columns. Then I madly drove home, jumped in the shower (did I mention i hadn't done my hair or make-up for the day yet?) and raced off to work. Work ended up being busy and one of the doctors made me upset. This day sucked.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

the letter "J" said...

Oh my goodness! AWWWWW, I'm sure you are glad that that day is over!!

Heather said...

Crystal-I soooo feel your pain. The last weeks are the worst, but you are close, so hang in there.

Leeann said...

Holy crappy day batman. Drop your kids off to play next time.

Tanielle said...

Holy Cow! My bad day was a walk in the park! You are super woman being your own general! You get the super mom award! I need a nap just reading about your day! - Tanielle

AnnieC said...

My blood pressure went up just reading about your VERY eventful day..Positive...you SURVIVED IT!!! Blessings and light (oh, by the way this message is from Rachel H. aka AnnieC).